Advertisement

Damage minimal from laundry room fire at North Central’s Merner Fieldhouse

A clothes dryer was the source of an early-morning fire Monday that spread smoke through two levels of Merner Fieldhouse on the campus of North Central College. No one was injured, and the building was expected to be open as usual after the minor blaze, which left about $5,000 worth of damage, a Naperville fire official said.

Bureau Chief Kevin Lyne reported that campus security alerted the department at 2:37 a.m. that a fire had started in the laundry room. The first of about 10 responding fire units arrived at the scene within six minutes and found smoke inside the two-story brick building on the south end of the downtown Naperville campus.

The fire was brought under control within 10 minutes, Lyne said in a news release, with no reported injuries.

The home to all of North Central’s sports teams and its athletic department, Merner Fieldhouse was built in 1931 to replace Nichols Gymnasium after it was destroyed by fire two years earlier.

0 Comments

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
Advertisement

Modal