Man gets 15 years in prison for Naperville Radio Shack stickup

<p>Christopher Nesbit</p>

Christopher Nesbit

An ex-convict who held up two electronics stores last summer has been sentenced to 15 years in prison in one of those crimes, which occurred on Naperville’s northeast side.

Admitted street gang member Christopher Nesbit had been out of prison only four months when he took part in the Aug. 12 robbery of the Radio Shack at 1233 E. Ogden Ave., in Naperville’s Ogden Mall.

Nesbit and another man in August robbed a Sprint store in northwest suburban Rolling Meadows under similar circumstances. Nesbit in March was sentenced to 21 years in prison for his part in that holdup.

An estimated $40,000 worth of cell phones were stolen from the Radio Shack, while 100 cell phones were taken at gunpoint in the Rolling Meadows incident.

The 45-year-old Nesbit has served nine prison terms since 1993, and last lived in Chicago and southwest suburban Markham. He pleaded guilty in DuPage County Circuit Court in Wheaton to a felony charge of aggravated robbery in which a dangerous weapon or firearm was indicated, according to court records.

Judge Kathryn E. Creswell on Friday accepted Nesbit’s plea and imposed the 15-year term, records indicated. Nine companion charges that included armed robbery with a firearm, aggravated unlawful restraint and being an armed, habitual criminal were dismissed in exchange for that plea, records showed.

Nesbit’s alleged accomplices in the Naperville case remain in DuPage County Jail awaiting trial. They are Dennis Clark, 24, and Jalin T. Parks, 20, both of Chicago.

Naperville police the evening of the robbery met with two Radio Shack employees. They told of being robbed at gunpoint of an assortment of merchandise by three men who then escaped in a Volvo.

Two detectives riding in an unmarked police vehicle saw the car traveling north on nearby Naper Boulevard, a police spokesman said last year. The Volvo entered Interstate 88 and made its way east, where Illinois State Police began their pursuit.

Police lost sight of the car but were later directed to 15th Street and Kolin Avenue on Chicago’s west side. They found the car abandoned there.

Nesbit was captured a short distance away, police said. He has or had a medical condition that initially caused him to seek treatment at Chicago’s Mount Sinai Hospital.

Clark and Parks were captured a few days later.

Officials of the Illinois Department of Corrections in Springfield have placed bail-related holds on Nesbit and Clark. Both were on parole at the time of the Naperville robbery. Cook County authorities also have a “no Bond” hold on Nesbit, according to jail records.

Nesbit and another man in the Rolling Meadows stickup herded seven Sprint employees and customers into a back room before making off with the cell phones. No one was injured in that incident.

Records indicated Nesbit since 1993 has been imprisoned for crimes that have included attempted burglary and narcotics possession.

0 Comments

Modal