Advertisement

Lightning strikes keep Naperville responders busy Monday night

No injuries were reported after lightning apparently started a chimney fire at a home on the south side of Naperville during Monday night’s thunderstorms.

Fire Department Division Chief Kevin Lyne said in a news release that a resident at 3628 Schillinger Court placed a 9-1-1 call at 9:44 p.m., reporting a smoke odor in the home after lightning struck nearby. Two pieces of firefighting equipment went to the scene with a crew of six, Lyne said, finding the structure’s attic on fire when they arrived at 9:45 p.m.

With the blaze upgraded to a general alarm response, additional fire crews joined the effort, surveying the site for extended flames while the initial responders extinguished the blaze. The body of the fire remained contained to the attic, Lyne said, and was under control within a few minutes after the crews arrived.

Damage to the house was estimated at $75,000. An inspector from the city’s Transportation, Engineering and Development business group deemed the building uninhabitable until repairs have been made.

Weather was determined to have caused the fire, one of several incidents that called out city crews during the course of the evening’s turbulent weather. At least one other home, at 305 Royce Woods Court on the city’s far southeast side, was rendered temporarily uninhabitable after it was damaged by a tree felled by high winds.

Other calls involved “fire alarms, reports of power lines down and odor investigations,” Lyne said in the statement.

Tags:

0 Comments

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
Advertisement

Modal