Cops say threat found on NNHS wall proved ‘not credible’
BY BILL BIRD firstname.lastname@example.org March 14, 2013 8:16PM
Updated: March 16, 2013 7:43PM
Naperville police have concluded a threat scrawled last week on a wall inside Naperville North High School had no credibility.
A printed police report indicated “unknown subject(s) wrote threatening words” at or shortly before 10 a.m. March 8 on a bathroom wall inside the school, at 899 N. Mill St. That report indicated the school had been “victim of (a) bomb threat.”
Police Sgt. Lou Cammiso confirmed unspecified “language” was discovered that morning on a wall “that led to an investigation by the school resource officer. The wording did not indicate an imminent threat, so no evacuation of students was required,” Cammiso wrote in an e-mail message.
“Before school resumed on Monday, an investigation was conducted,” Cammiso said. “It was determined by the resource officer that the threat was not credible.”
Cammiso stressed police and school administrators “would not risk the safety of the students, and would have taken whatever actions were needed if a reasonable threat to anyone’s safety existed.”
Susan E. Rice, director of communications for Naperville Community Unit School District 203, said Thursday night via e-mail “the district supports the statements made” by police. She added the district “follows the lead of the police department in situations such as these, and we remain vigilant to any circumstance that may place any of our students at risk.”