Unattended food left cooking on a kitchen stove top or baking inside an oven has been cited as the cause of a fire early Wednesday afternoon that did more than $30,000 worth of damage to a condominium on Naperville’s northeast side.
No firefighters or residents were injured during the blaze that erupted about 12:47 p.m. in a second-floor unit at the Huntington Condominium complex, near the southeast corner of Chicago Avenue and Naper Boulevard.
Naperville Fire Department Bureau Chief Kevin Lyne said firefighters were sent to the complex following a 911 call concerning smoke in one of the units. A fire alarm sounded about that same time inside the building in question, Lyne said late Wednesday afternoon in a release.
The first contingent of firefighters arrived at the complex within five minutes “and found smoke on the building’s second floor,” Lyne said. The seriousness of the situation was then upgraded, bringing a total of three fire trucks, three engines a “heavy rescue squad” and six other vehicles to the scene, he said.
Firefighters began to battle the blaze and, as reinforcements arrived, “a search of the building for occupants and ventilation was completed,” Lyne said. The fire was brought under control within 10 minutes and flames were confined to one unit, although smoke permeated both the second and third floors, he said.
Naperville building inspectors later deemed the affected unit to be uninhabitable, Lyne said.
“The cause of the fire is accidental, related to cooking,” and damage was estimated at more than $30,000, he said.
Lyne added firefighters were assisted on the scene by firefighters from the Lisle-Woodridge Fire District, Naperville police and members of the city’s transportation and engineering department. Members of the Plainfield and Warrenville fire protection districts provided coverage at Naperville fire stations during the blaze, he said.