Laundry room fire damages Naperville townhouse
Flames that erupted in a ground-floor laundry room did significant damage late Thursday afternoon to a townhouse on Naperville’s far northwest side.
No one was injured during the blaze, which broke out about 5:10 p.m. in a six-unit, two-story townhouse complex at 2530 Oneida Lane. The complex is north of North Aurora Road near Genesee Drive, in the Country Lakes area of Naperville.
Deputy Naperville Fire Department Chief Rick Sander said on the scene a woman who lives in one of the units called 911 to report a fire had erupted in her first-floor laundry room. The woman, who was alone at the time, was outside of the townhouse by the time firefighters arrived, Sander said.
An on-premises fire alarm automatically activated at about the same time, with the alarm’s manufacturer also notifying 911.
Twenty-four firefighters drove three engines, two fire trucks, two ambulances and three other vehicles and pieces of apparatus to the scene, Sander said. The first contingent of firefighters arrived within six minutes of the initial 911 call.
Three firefighters were raised on an aerial ladder to inspect the roof of the affected townhouse. Three standard ladders were erected on the ground and hoisted to windows on the upper floor, and firefighters soon after could be seen using flashlights inside the darkened home, apparently making sure all of the flames had been extinguished.
“The fire was contained to the laundry room, with some smoke damage into the hallway,” Sander said. “There is fire and smoke damage” in the laundry room itself, he said.
Sander said the owner of the damaged unit was expected to spend the night with relatives or friends. The other five units went unscathed, and their owners were allowed to return after the fire was put out, he said.
He added the fire remains under investigation.
Members of the Aurora and Bolingbrook fire departments provided back-up coverage at several Naperville fire stations during the emergency.