Advertisement

Smoking cited as cause of garage fire

Improperly discarded smoking materials have been cited as the cause of a fire that did an estimated $35,000 damage Friday morning to the garage of a house in unincorporated Will County near Naperville’s southwest side.

No one was injured in the blaze that erupted about 9:57 a.m. in the attached garage of the split-level house at 28W556 Juanita Drive, several blocks southeast of 87th Street and Book Road.

Naperville Fire Department Bureau Chief Mark Thurow said a neighbor called 911 and reported seeing black smoke billowing from the garage. The neighbor said she believed the homeowner was inside the house at the time, Thurow said in a release.

Twenty-six firefighters went to the scene with 10 vehicles and pieces of apparatus. Thurow said the first firefighters arrived within eight minutes of the 911 call and found flames in the garage.

The unidentified resident “was alerted to the situation and evacuated from the home as fire crews worked through dense smoke” to find the source of the blaze, Thurow said. The immediate area is not served by fire hydrants, which forced firefighters to lay 1,000 feet of hose to bring water from further-away hydrants.

Thurow said the fire was extinguished in about 20 minutes. Firefighters remained on the scene for some time, searching for hidden pockets of flames and making certain the fire had not gotten into the house, he said.

Flames were confined to the garage and its attic. Thurow said the cause of the blaze “was determined to be the improper disposal of smoking materials.”

Firefighters from the Bolingbrook and Plainfield fire departments and the Lisle-Woodridge Fire District provided coverage of Naperville fire stations during the emergency. Thurow said Naperville police and Will County sheriff’s deputies also provided assistance.

Read More News
Advertisement

Latest News

Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
Advertisement