The City of Naperville has found mosquitoes initially testing positive for West Nile Virus at three parks and will spray the affected areas. Read the full press release below:
Who: The City of Naperville regularly tests mosquito traps throughout the community for instances of West Nile Virus. Naperville Park District staff feels that it is necessary to inform people of initial findings in our parks so that they can take the necessary precautions.
What/When: Recent initial tests of mosquito traps at Seager Park, Sportsman’s Park and Burlington Park have returned one instance of West Nile Virus at each location as reported by the City of Naperville. Positive, reportable results are defined as two instances in one location. City crews will spray the affected areas August 22-23 and will retest next week. More information about the City’s mosquito control program is available athttp://www.naperville.il.us/mosquitocontrol.aspx.
Common sense precautions include the following:
· Apply insect repellent to exposed skin. Generally, the more active ingredient a repellent contains the longer it can protect you from mosquito bites. A higher percentage of active ingredient in a repellent does not mean that your protection is better—just that it will last longer. Click here for more on insect repellent active ingredients. Choose a repellent that provides protection for the amount of time that you will be outdoors.
· Spray clothing with repellents containing permethrin or another EPA-registered repellent since mosquitoes may bite through thin clothing. Do not apply repellents containing permethrin directly to exposed skin. Do not apply repellent to skin under your clothing.
· When weather permits, wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants whenever you are outdoors.
· Place mosquito netting over infant carriers when you are outdoors with infants.
· Consider staying indoors at dawn, dusk, and in the early evening, which are peak mosquito biting times.
Where: Burlington Park is located at 1003 Douglas Ave., Seager Park is located at 1163 Plank Road and Sportsman’s Park is located at 731 S. West St.