Advertisement

Copley hosts Second City holiday show

The Second City’s touring company presents “The Second City’s Nut-Cracking Holiday Revue” Dec. 6-22 at the Copley Theatre.  |  Submitted photo

The Second City’s touring company presents “The Second City’s Nut-Cracking Holiday Revue” Dec. 6-22 at the Copley Theatre. | Submitted photo

It’s the gift-giving season and a Second City sketch comedy troupe is giving the gift of laughter with “The Second City’s Nut-Cracking Holiday Revue” at the Copley Theater in Aurora.

“We do topical humor,” said Claudia Wallace, an ensemble cast member of the Second City show. “We are always on top of what is happening in the world.

“People want to see what we have to say about things,” she said of the sketches, which were created originally at the Second City Main Stage shows. “These are all scenes from Second City that touch on the holidays.”

The Second City’s Nut-Cracking Holiday Revue” will be presented from Dec. 6-22 at the Copley Theater in Aurora.

The six cast members and one musical director who plays the piano for show present a seasonal blend of scenes, satire on holiday film classics, family gatherings and improvised Christmas carols, among other subjects. The show is rated R for adult language and themes.

“About 75 percent of the show is sketch comedy and the other 25 percent is improv.

“You don’t know what the suggestions from the audience will be. That makes it a lot of fun for the audience and fun for us. And it keeps us on our toes,” Wallace said.

“I took classes with Second City in the mid-1990s,” said the performer who was born and raised on Chicago’s south side. “I did an intern program with them and continued to study. I stayed with it. I toured with Second City for several years, and eventually made it to the Main Stage.

“I had a specific voice and I was funny,” Wallace continued. “They accepted me. You can’t fight the funny.”

Wallace believes that her work is not only about comedy, but about connecting with audience members.

“On the Main Stage one time, another performer and I wrote a sketch about divorce; about picking up the kids for the weekend,” she said. “The audience response was great. They could relate to that.”

Read More Arts & Entertainment
Advertisement

Latest News

Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
Advertisement